Smash Underground
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Petrovian Gallery

+4
Zephron©
Fyro
Kingdom Come
petrovich112
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Petrovian Gallery Empty The Petrovian Gallery

Post by petrovich112 Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Hence the beggining of my more serious art career i begin with what i think is my best image which is off some show but i forget which so plz leave some criticism so i can improve further.
also im aware the character is a little blurry and that was my intention
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Last edited by petrovich112 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
petrovich112
petrovich112
Signature Artist

Number of posts : 357

Smash Points/Trophies
Smash Points: 20

Back to top Go down

The Petrovian Gallery Empty Re: The Petrovian Gallery

Post by Kingdom Come Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:39 am

nice who is it?

Kingdom Come
Smash Veteran

Number of posts : 770

Smash Points/Trophies
Smash Points: 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Fyro Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:26 am

...Sbm? (That reads in his head...)
Fyro
Fyro
Smash Apprentice

Number of posts : 472
Brawl: : 2578 4639 5779

Smash Points/Trophies
Smash Points: 10

http://ssbb.8forum.net/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephron© Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:48 am

petrovich112 wrote:Hence the beggining of my more serious art career i begin with what i think is my best image which is off some show but i forget which so plz leave some criticism so i can improve further.
also im aware the character is a little blurry and that was my intention
Photobucket

Hm. Well, Petro, it's really unwise to have the focal point of your piece be blurry. You want people to notice the... uhm... picture, but when it's really blurry like that, it makes everything seem off. So next time, even though it was your intention, I don't recommend you blur the focal point.

The background seems cool, but very simple and not very fitting for the... focal point. The lines are cool, but you have been using them in nearly every sig you've been using. Next time, add some stock photos, or c4ds. Use blending options to make them go well together. I do see like, one in there, but it's very meek and only has pure red. Try to get more colors in there.

The text.. don't use that font... It's like those curly ends with slick lettering, it seems kind of girlish to me. And when you're pushing life to the max, that doesn't seem very fitting. Razz

The border is nice, but blue sticks out like a sore thumb in contrast to the sig. This sometimes works, but try not to go completely on the other side of the color scale next time. Razz Plus, the border isn't the same all the way through. It seems to get bigger and smaller at a few places, especially the bottom left, unless you for some reason wanted that.

I know you wanted some criticism, so there's my two cents. I hope this will help you improve.
Zephron©
Zephron©
PK Knight
PK Knight

Number of posts : 1615
Brawl: : 1934-2362-2797

Smash Points/Trophies
Smash Points: 75

Back to top Go down

Post by petrovich112 Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:31 am

thanks zeph im aware that the other 2 stock photos got lost in there and there are 2 others in there
ohh and the 1 stock phot turned out red because i suck at coloring and instead used lighting
and the blur was to portray motion which probly could have been done differently
as were the lines and i has decideed to stop usin em more or less
and i just picked random font not really caring what it was
and i wasnt sure what color scheme would work with the character so i went with red
petrovich112
petrovich112
Signature Artist

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephron© Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:36 am

You should care about the text <.< This is your awesome sig and you should care about the text, for it's taking up a lot of room, might as well make it fit.

It's true you wanted motion, so just blur the hand, not the entire picture. Unblur the guy's face, and body. It's his hand that's moving.

Red scheme is fine... It's your descision.
Zephron©
Zephron©
PK Knight
PK Knight

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom Come Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:51 pm

who is the character though?

Kingdom Come
Smash Veteran

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephron© Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:27 pm

They remind me of Orcs from Warcraft... but they don't have creepy mohawks of gray hair, and rocks coming out of their hands. : /

It says BBM on his head @_@
Zephron©
Zephron©
PK Knight
PK Knight

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by petrovich112 Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:30 pm

it says 8BM actually and i know its from a gay cartoon but i forget which
and also i didnt care about the text because it was 2 am but ya i made a few changes hope its better
petrovich112
petrovich112
Signature Artist

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by GuruKid Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:39 pm

Good start, Petro. I have to go with Zephron on the "blurring the whole stock image is a bad idea" part; I know you wanted to go for mystery and motion, but the artwork suffers in its aesthetic value. I like the background though. it goes well with the character's colors.

And yes, font style (just like every other little detail) is really crucial to completely harmonizing your artwork.
GuruKid
GuruKid
Head Honcho
Head Honcho

Number of posts : 383

Smash Points/Trophies
Smash Points: 15

https://smashunderground.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephron© Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:23 pm

petrovich112 wrote:
Photobucket

Hmm. Well, the hand seems to be waay too blurry. Like even more than the last sig. I know you want motion, but with that much blurring it just seems x.x You might want to blur the outline of the hand. Hmm.

The text is better, seems a little too big though. Color sticks out like a sore thumb.. But I guess that makes it easier to read.. idk, tbh it looks bad to me.

The different background on the right side seems really weird. It's looking like some mush. I get why you did that but I'm still not liking it.

There isnt much flow... in either... or lighting... or composition. These take a LONG TIME to get down, I'm nowhere near masterful of them, but it seems you dont even add them. In your next sig, please consider these aspects.

One last thing, your sigs seem very empty. There's always some little BG then a stock photo. Seems just really empty a lot of the time. Add c4ds, and other pictures to add stuff. Make sure this goes well with the flow. Turn, or erase some parts of the picture to make sure it goes well. Or just change the hue.

Good to know you're working at it, try your best next time.

Last edited by Zephron© on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zephron©
Zephron©
PK Knight
PK Knight

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by petrovich112 Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:29 pm

two things its not really supposed to flow i remembered the shows called chaotic
and i have lightin in to change colors of stuff and composition is what in this case?
petrovich112
petrovich112
Signature Artist

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephron© Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:33 pm

petrovich112 wrote:two things its not really supposed to flow i remembered the shows called chaotic
and i have lightin in to change colors of stuff and composition is what in this case?

IMHO, Sigs should always have some sort of flow, whether it's meek or not, the only thing thats flow in the sig is because of the photo, with the guy shooting his hand out, which you really wanted to blur.

I see the.. lighting, but it has a very minimal part, and the actual chaotic guy isnt affected at all by the lighting, and only a corner of it has the effect of lighting.

Composition... you should make the shape or the style of the sig resemble the character in some way. If the show is called... chaotic, it would be befitting to have a chaotic background. The left side of the sig kind of is, but still, seems kind of like mush. Idk what it is @_@ And the rest.. just seems very empty.
Zephron©
Zephron©
PK Knight
PK Knight

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by petrovich112 Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:44 pm

ahh i c what you mean now
im gonna pick something im interested in for my next pic so i can better match the styles and thx for the help i understand what you mean now
petrovich112
petrovich112
Signature Artist

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by petrovich112 Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:47 pm

Pic added
petrovich112
petrovich112
Signature Artist

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by For$@K3n KnIgHt! Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:05 pm

Lol Zeph your the biggest Art critic here xD. jk [Notice I don't upper-case it.]

Good Job Petro! Your starting out so far good.The blurry I really don't care. It makes it so people Focus the center of that art piece. Which btw is that character from a show my little cousin watches. Great job again you should be motherly proud!
For$@K3n KnIgHt!
For$@K3n KnIgHt!
Smash Veteran

Number of posts : 763
Brawl: : 1977.2102.9898

Smash Points/Trophies
Smash Points: 0

Back to top Go down

Post by petrovich112 Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:11 pm

y thx cj but i do agree with zeph on alot of the things in the pic and no comment on my lucario?
petrovich112
petrovich112
Signature Artist

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by For$@K3n KnIgHt! Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:17 pm

Lol sorry 'bout that too focused on one thing.

But Having it blurry can make the person think that the center of attention in this picture is that character.

Lucario one is just epic!
For$@K3n KnIgHt!
For$@K3n KnIgHt!
Smash Veteran

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephron© Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:18 pm

I dont really like being a critic, it's not my right in my mind to judge others work, when I've only started making sigs 6 months ago, but Petro has consented to learning things from me, so I guess if it's helping no harm is being done.

The new one is a decent bit better than the other one's you've done. It has a lot better resemblance to Lucario, but I really am not feeling anything... "aura-y" about the background. I felt you were going for that, but It just seems like one of those rainbow color shirts people have, with various water stains on there.

There's a defined line right down the middle, you should really blur that, looks kinda bad.

The lighting is okay... I mean, the Lucario in front is lighted just fine, but the rest of the sig has 0 effect from it. If there's a light source, be thorough, and make every part somehow affected.

There's absolutely no flow, and everything just seems to be sitting there. That's a problem : /

The text is better, the colors are good, but the font I'm not liking. It is also hard to read. Either bold it, or place it better next time.

Anyways... good sig Petro..
Zephron©
Zephron©
PK Knight
PK Knight

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by petrovich112 Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:30 pm

thx i hadnt noticed the line and im surprised you didnt notice the white in the faded lucarios arm.
not sure what you mean by flow in this case.
and i dont know if its in photoshop but the program i use the lighting only effects the layer its in so its really difficult to get the same kinda lighting throughout
also you started six months ago where as i started like 3.5 weeks ago
petrovich112
petrovich112
Signature Artist

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephron© Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:37 pm

Which is why I'm the one giving advice.

Yeah, I did see his arm whited out, thought it was the lighting.

Flow is when you look at a sig, and think: "What direction is everything going?"
Is everything moving left? Right? Outwards? Inwards?
When everything is just sitting there, the sig feels just wrong. Giving flow to signatures helps a lot. It gives a sense of motion, of happening, so the sig looks and feels like it has a lot more going on.

As for lighting, you're gonna have to use multiple light effects in multiple layers. That's just how much effort you got to put into it to make everything go with eachother. You cant have layers that seem out of place.
Zephron©
Zephron©
PK Knight
PK Knight

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by petrovich112 Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:39 pm

not sure if the update on the pic is an improvement or worse opinions plz?
petrovich112
petrovich112
Signature Artist

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingdom Come Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:43 pm

dude one of these days your going to have to teach me htis stuff

Kingdom Come
Smash Veteran

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephron© Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Well... you made the line go away.... Lucario on the left is blurred a bit... and the text is still hard to read.

It was an improvement... I guess.

If you were trying to fix the lighting, take a gander at my sig. The lighting isn't perfect, but I say it's darn good. See how there's a defined dark and light eminating spots?

@ Kingdom:

Well, Idk about Petro, but I'd love to teach you, if you have photoshop and are willing to take slightly harsh constructive criticism.
Zephron©
Zephron©
PK Knight
PK Knight

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by For$@K3n KnIgHt! Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:57 pm

Zephron© wrote:slightly harsh constructive criticism.

Har Har. Slightly?! lol made me chuckle after reading your posts in this zeph xD
For$@K3n KnIgHt!
For$@K3n KnIgHt!
Smash Veteran

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down