Smash Underground
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying?

+13
GuruKid
RoboFerret
Nakayorz
For$@K3n KnIgHt!
Holy Sapphire
Beigt.
lolololololololololololol
DragoonBlaze
Zero
Rykoshet
zachisasian
Zephron©
Rei
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is Spamming a skill?

Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying? I_vote_lcap30%Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying? I_vote_rcap 30% 
[ 7 ]
Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying? I_vote_lcap4%Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying? I_vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying? I_vote_lcap26%Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying? I_vote_rcap 26% 
[ 6 ]
Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying? I_vote_lcap17%Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying? I_vote_rcap 17% 
[ 4 ]
Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying? I_vote_lcap9%Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying? I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 2 ]
Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying? I_vote_lcap13%Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying? I_vote_rcap 13% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 23

Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying? Empty Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying?

Post by Rei Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:34 pm

Some of us have come to an agreement that "spamming is noobish". Some of see spamming as a skill that certain characters need in order to be used. This is one of the biggest discussions in the Brawl world. Many times we use the word spamming as a way to bring another person down. Some us it to bring people down in an real match ,but what really is spamming Question I'll say this, Spamming can be used as a skill but to a certain degree. The thin line between "Skillful Spamming and Annoying Spamming" is very, very small.

We all know that some characters are known for spamming ( Ike, Pikachu, Pit etc.). We classify them as spamming characters by nature.Some people use spamming for a specific character and some people don't uses spamming for the same character. Characters known for a simple move such as Diddy's Bananas ( Down B) are hated to be fought. Why? Is it because we can't beat them or the simple fact that it's just annoying? I ,myself, don't even like playing certain characters ,because some moves give me trouble ( Ness <_<; ). Characters all have powerful moves ,but do they need to be spammed? (IMO no Razz).

My closing thoughts on "Spamming".

Spamming can be Skill ,BUT do not confuse skill with abusing your moves. My definition of spamming is:
1. Skills needed to use a character in a certain way.
2. Abusing a move to the highest extreme!

Please do not think I am siding or agreeing with move abusing! I am not. I do not spam and if I do please tell me ( in a nice way and if you don't have something nice to say shut your mouth -_- ). This is just an open debate. You all are free to discuss, critique, and even complement this topic. Feel free to talk about the Topic. Don't argue and go off topic! Please!

This topic is open for Discussion!!! Wink

Last edited by Rei on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:59 pm; edited 5 times in total

Rei
Head Honcho
Head Honcho

Number of posts : 1585
Brawl: : 4811-6624-7457

Smash Points/Trophies
Smash Points: 10

https://www.youtube.com/Kageyoshi6

Back to top Go down

Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying? Empty Re: Spamming. Skillfull or Annoying?

Post by Zephron© Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:41 pm

Thanks for opening this topic up, Rei. It's been bothering me for awhile.
For people who have played me, I spam most of Toon Link's projectiles. However, I do not think I am close to the Bad spam line. I only spam when you are far away, and If youre far away and I'm Toon Link thats your mistake.

I say that if someone cant beat a spamming Pit, and let's say the Pit won, I will personally say to you that the Pit was better. Why? Because, you need to have a strategy and learn how to beat people like that. Sure, it takes no skill to spam arrows, but it does take skill to weave around the arrows, dodge, and get a good attack on him. Which is what you should do eventually. As for Zelda, I try my best not to spam, but as you guys know, Zelda's fireball move is one of the best projectiles in the game. That doesnt mean I shouldnt use them just because of your personal preference!

Spamming is a legit tactic, and even to the bad point. Why? Because if you cant beat a spammer, that shows you have something to learn. Learn how to avoid that spammed attack, prevent them from using it to a point, and beat them!

I will say its god d^&* annoying, and it is. But, thats no reason to let yourself lose.
Zephron©
Zephron©
PK Knight
PK Knight

Number of posts : 1615
Brawl: : 1934-2362-2797

Smash Points/Trophies
Smash Points: 75

Back to top Go down

Post by zachisasian Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:44 pm

well the reason people use projectiles is because they're on the other side of the map. i mean you can't really hit them with a light a or something so why not use the projectile, it's their fault if they decide to stay and wait over there.

but thats how i feel when i'm throwing yoshi's eggs. Very Happy
zachisasian
zachisasian
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Number of posts : 717

Smash Points/Trophies
Smash Points: 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Rykoshet Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:14 pm

Offline I can see it being skillfull as a spacing maneuver. Online it's skillless without even a second thought. People who dont short hop link's arrow, toon link's double arrow, falco's laser, and pikachu's projectile are already kind of on the side of worthless. The concept that "well if theyre on the other side why not just throw as many projectiles as you can" is silly. In an offline match if I'm in the lead I'll purposefully stand on the other side because frankly you're not going to kill me with any projectile save din's fire (which is also a worthless move) so if you don't know how to approach and are using that to make me come to you... well I'm in the lead, I can just sit there jumping and shielding all day.
Rykoshet
Rykoshet
Smash Novice

Number of posts : 34

Smash Points/Trophies
Smash Points: 0

https://www.youtube.com/Rykoshet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:45 pm

@Zeph
Well to me the unskillful spamming is terrible. A monkey could hold a controller and tap away on the C-stick and that would not be skill. Maybe getting around the spamming (like you said) would be a skill.

@Ryko
Online, Dodging a barrage of arrows is difficult. Well for me at least. Offline (like you said) it's a piece of cake.

Rei
Head Honcho
Head Honcho

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephron© Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:58 pm

Rei Kaze wrote:@Zeph
Well to me the unskillful spamming is terrible. A monkey could hold a controller and tap away on the C-stick and that would not be skill. Maybe getting around the spamming (like you said) would be a skill.

@Ryko
Online, Dodging a barrage of arrows is difficult. Well for me at least. Offline (like you said) it's a piece of cake.

@Rei Thats what I'm trying to say. Stop complaining about spammers if you cant beat them. Its hell as annoying on wi fi I know but you gotta learn to get past that.
@Ryko Zelda has no good approaching moves, save for Farores wind, which really shouldnt be used as that because of the lag afterwards and how most good players shield. I use dins fire far away just because it keeps pressure on you. Once you get to halfway in the stage I will approach you then.
Zephron©
Zephron©
PK Knight
PK Knight

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:04 pm

Rei Kaze wrote:
@Rei Thats what I'm trying to say. Stop complaining about spammers if you cant beat them. Its hell as annoying on wi fi I know but you gotta learn to get past that.
then.

I wasn't complaining. I'm just saying saying bad spamming requires no skill. You can't get past in on wifi because lag stops you with button lag. Also, I can beat spammers.

Rei
Head Honcho
Head Honcho

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephron© Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:11 pm

I wasnt saying you were complaining or saying you cant beat spammers. I'm just saying how common those answers are. And yes, button lag is an issue -.- Sorry to have somehow hurt you -.-
Zephron©
Zephron©
PK Knight
PK Knight

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:27 pm

No, you didn't offend me. I was just debating! lol XD

Rei
Head Honcho
Head Honcho

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:40 pm

Spamming is a skill, it's your gamestyle or how you play. offline or online I still say it's spamming is skills. If you can't beat that players gamestyle it means you lost to that player, don't blame it on spam.
Zero
Zero
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Number of posts : 1244
Brawl: : 0989-1985-9880

Smash Points/Trophies

https://www.youtube.com/user/ZeroX2Fire

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:44 pm

Ok well what if all they did that match was Pikachu's Thunder would you consider that skill? again I'm not being mean this is a debate Razz

Rei
Head Honcho
Head Honcho

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:48 pm

yeah, theres way to counter and that move isn't good to spam. It could be risky too.
Zero
Zero
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:51 pm

Well, it would be nice if those spammers would switch there moves up once in awhile. Also I do love countering their spams! Razz XD

Rei
Head Honcho
Head Honcho

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Rykoshet Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:58 pm

Zelda's approaches are limited but frankly everyone's approaches are limited. Some people have pitiful dash attacks (marth, ike to some degree), some people have pitiful dash grabs, some people have pitiful approaching aerials (sonic, zelda), few characters have good all 3 (sheik is one of the characters that does). Farore's is actually a pretty terrible approach since you don't need to even scout the exit point correctly, you just need to scout the timing of exit on the move. Pressure-wise, din's fire is actually fairly bad itself. Its best use is a mid-range chase stuffer.

Spamming is skillless. Some characters are meant to do so and i'll state plainly whether or not a person is good with that character but it's a function of someone who cant grasp spacing so they pre-empt the need for it by trying to keep someone on the other side of the screen. You don't need to beat it for 100% of the match, you have to beat it once then let the spammer's weakness be their downfall (lacking ability to approach).

Last edited by Rykoshet on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Rykoshet
Rykoshet
Smash Novice

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by DragoonBlaze Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:24 am

i say, in some cases, spamming is a skill and sometimes spamming is not because some brawlers i've faced repeat the same button twice or three times (three times as the max) to follow up with a good combo but then again, i see and brawl those people who just repeatedly press a button without thinking and just continues doing that, thinking it's fun and that "i'm building up damage easily. i'm gonna win that match." so it depends. so once you're playing with someones that "spams for no reason", once you break their spamming, it's over for them but for the people "that spam to follow up with a combo" are good. this is how i think of it. remember, spamming to on eperson may be wrong but to another person is a way of playing and people who use it to bring down others probably spam themselves. i've seen the best players have some spamming in their brawls so there is basically no point in arguing like this and saying that spamming is bad and wrong. it is true that some characters have a spamming nature but it's also true not to abuse the move. As far as this topic goes, and as long as people brawl, you'll be able to distinguish those brawlers that abuse or actually use...heehee, that rhymes!
DragoonBlaze
DragoonBlaze
Smash Apprentice

Number of posts : 391

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:28 am

Good point dragoon!

Ps: We are not arguing. We are debating! ^_^

Last edited by Rei Kaze on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Rei
Head Honcho
Head Honcho

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by lolololololololololololol Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:51 am

Spamming... Isn't for noobs or pros. Noobs just button mash, atleast you know How to spam Razz But after spamming like the 50th time, it gets annoying.

Oh, and, Your lame. Smile
Smash Learner

Number of posts : 194

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Beigt. Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 am

For the most part.. spamming is annoying in a lot of situations but mostly, just because it works and a lot of people just get irritated to it for that very same reason, it works. (like.. when a melee hero is fighting a ranged hero in WC3 and the ranged hero doesn't wanna stay still and let the melee hero attack him/her. so the ranged hero kites the melee hero and then the person controlling the melee hero gets all pissy and demands that they stay still, lol) and no I'm not talking about the thoughtless spamming of Falco's laser and sheild then dash away.. I pretty much agree with Dragoon.

example of combo spamming: I fought a Zero Suit Samus online once and I was completely blown away both by the fact that the other player spammed the same combo and took out a life within a matter of 10 or 15 seconds. Down Smash, Down Smash, Up B, Down Smash, Down Smash, Up B / Forward B and bam, there's a life down. If by some miracle I survived that onslaught the player would hunt me down with 1 move and that was with her forward B. And yes I was irritated from that but also shocked out of how effective it was. Anyways.. I think spamming is more of an effective tactic if used right.
Beigt.
Beigt.
Smash Novice

Number of posts : 44

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:05 am

lol, who voted rei is lame?
Zero
Zero
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:20 am

Zero wrote:lol, who voted rei is lame?

Pee voted I was lame. When I made that poll I just put that option there to have some fun. I knew Pee would pick Rei is lame because me and him are always fooling around. XD

Rei
Head Honcho
Head Honcho

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephron© Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:56 am

It couldve been me rei...... lol jk I voted the top one.
Zephron©
Zephron©
PK Knight
PK Knight

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Rykoshet Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:16 pm

A combo, as in an actual combo, should not be considered spam. ZSS's down smash to up B is a guaranteed combo, in the same way that on lucas, and kirby and link, a lot of ike's jab cancels to grabs are combos. There's a difference between being set up and being spammed.
Rykoshet
Rykoshet
Smash Novice

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Beigt. Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:35 pm

lol, your right ryko..
Beigt.
Beigt.
Smash Novice

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Rykoshet Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:52 pm

*shrug* I know I'm right, your childish dismissal of a valid point won't really change much.
Rykoshet
Rykoshet
Smash Novice

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Beigt. Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:23 pm

Somebody is thinking awfully highly of theirself. I'm just stickin to what I said because your a bit too much of the "all knowing" (kinda like a christian) type for my tastes and I don't really wanna waste my time trying to argue/debate with a wall, basically.

:"/

anyways! That's off topic. You're still spamming if you're constantly using the same combo over and over and over and over.. and over, and over.. and over. Sure your using more than just 1 or 2 moves.. but not much more.. a variety of 3 or 4 moves in the same combo.. over.. and over... and yadda yadda.. still spamming your just spamming a combo.
Beigt.
Beigt.
Smash Novice

Smash Points/Trophies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next